Bilingual Family & Community Engagement Specialist
Child Care Answers
The Bilingual Family & Community Engagement Specialist fulfills a dual role with the Spanish-speaking community, serving families directly as well as maintaining relationships with local community organizations. As a part of the duties, he/she provides comprehensive consumer education in Spanish to families seeking child care, as well as responds to each family’s individual needs. This is especially important in light of cultural sensitivities that may impact a family’s choice of care. He/she maintains current knowledge of best practices for family engagement, with a commitment to being responsive to the uniqueness of every family within our three counties. The specialist will also assist in developing and implementing parent-focused activities based on data gathered during needs assessments. Fostering relationships with community organizations will also be imperative in this role. He/she will collaborate effectively with neighborhood, city and regional projects, in addition to government corporations, and non-profit family-facing organizations. The Specialist will work with community organizations and leaders to assist with capacity building and economic development within Hamilton, Hendricks, and Marion Counties. With the assistance of the Knowledge Manager, the Specialist will provide information via social media and community events and services in Spanish.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop outreach and marketing plans for all consumer groups that leverage partnerships, ensuring sustainable and consistent outreach to each group;
- Provide primary support to families, with unique circumstances relating to developmental milestones, when needing resources, education, and referrals;
- Assist families with identifying and establishing professional supports in the community;
- Identify, cultivate, and maintain collaborative organizational partners, including school districts, higher education, community organizations, and social services agencies, in support of individual family needs and early childhood program goals;
- Support in the development of family outreach events, which provide opportunities for family connection and growth and enhance the parent’s role as the principal influence in their child’s early education and development;
- Participate in community events to ensure that families, programs and the public are aware of CCR&R services and the importance of accessible, affordable, quality early childhood care and education;
- Work with community organizations and leaders who are focused on economic development to ensure needed early childhood care and education spaces are available to potential, new, or expanding employers in the community;
- Deliver customer service to families and the community that are sensitive to cultural and educational desires for their children;
- Collaborate with colleagues across Child Care Answers to provide support to all audiences as needed
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, Consumer and Family Sciences, Child Psychology, Social Work, or Counseling.
- Experience: Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in an early childhood setting, a CCR&R agency, or an agency providing family support services.
- Knowledge of developmental milestones is required
- Fluency in Spanish; proficiency in other languages a plus
- Valid driver’s license
- Proof of automobile insurance
- Some weekends and nights
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The successful employee will demonstrate individual competency in the following areas:
- Written and Verbal Communication Skills: Because the Bilingual Community & Family Engagement Specialist will spend most of his/her time communicating, the candidate must possess superior communication skills to clearly articulate needs and opportunities to our audiences, in-person, via phone, or via email. This includes communications skills in both English and Spanish. Speaking in front of an audience and giving presentations should be an area of comfort and confidence.
- Social Perceptiveness: The Bilingual Community & Family Engagement Specialist must be socially aware of the socio-economic, geographic, cultural, and intellectual differences as he/she navigates from one audience to another. He/she should be especially aware of the needs and challenges of the Hispanic community in central Indiana.
- Emotional Intelligence: The Bilingual Community & Family Engagement Specialist must be able to recognize emotions in him/herself and others, in addition to being skilled at understanding how emotions work and managing emotional reactions effectively.
- Organizational Skills: To efficiently maintain the agency’s pipeline of potential audiences, the Bilingual Community & Family Engagement Specialist must be highly organized to track the progress of where he/she is in the process of relationship building with each constituent.
- Interpersonal Skills: Interpersonal skills include things like compassion, positivity and patience, all of which the Bilingual Community & Family Engagement Specialist must demonstrate daily. These skills are essential to building authentic relationships with potential audiences.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements.
Early Learning Indiana is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disabled
To apply for this job please visit recruiting2.ultipro.com.